Easley South Carolina History
The town of Easley plays an important role in South Carolina's history, and its picturesque charm continues to attract visitors from across America. Pickens is in the foothills where numerous waterfalls and state parks, including Table Rock, Keowee and Toxaway, have attracted visitors to upstate South Korea. More than 100,000 vehicles pass through the streets every day, carrying traffic to and from the capital Charleston and other major cities in North Carolina and the city of Greenville. The city itself has about 18,000 residents, including those from as far away as New York, New Jersey, California, Florida, Pennsylvania, Texas, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Dakota, Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Arkansas, Kansas, Minnesota, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Oklahoma, Montana, South Dakota and Texas.
The Swamp Rabbit Trail connects the rest of the state with a former rail corridor, and the Doodle Rail Trail connects Easley with Greenville, Charleston and other major cities in North Carolina and South Carolina.
Easley is located in the eastern part of South Carolina, south of Greenville and north of Charleston. The city borders the North Carolina State Highway 101, North Charleston Highway and South Charleston County Highway.
In 1792, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eastern District of South Carolina ruled that there was a district in Washington that consisted of Greenville and Pendleton counties. The upper part was Anderson County and the lower part was Pickens County, named after Andrew Picken. In 1791, Pendleton District was divided into two parts, with the upper part becoming Anderson (upper) and Pickening (lower) and a lower part Anderson and upper Pickens. Hopewell was located on the southern border of the District, but it was named in honor of its former owner, William Pickett, a congressman.
The lower part became an upper Pickens, named after William Pickett, the former owner of Hopewell, whose house was on the southern border of the county.
It was first called Rockville in 1791 and was named Pickensville the next year and later Easley in the late 19th century. Liberty's next change came in 1901, when Mr. Jeptha P. Smith founded the first cotton mill called Liberty Mill. Woodside Mills operated the facility until 1956, when the company was bought by Virginia-based Dan River Mills.
On October 1, 2009, Greenville Health System purchased Richland Memorial Hospital and its outpost, Easley, and shortly thereafter, the purchase. The Mutts, which was then the largest hospital in South Carolina and one of the oldest in the country. On October 2, 2010, Baptist Healthcare System signed a formal alliance with Richlands Memorial Hospital to create an integrated health care system. Palmetto Health and Baptist Elementary Hospital became Baptist Easley Hospital, and outpost Eames followed suit.
Silver Bay Seafood is a thriving family-owned fish chain with locations in Easley, Greenville, Spartanburg, Charleston and Charleston County. Founded in 2011, Starving Artist Cafe aims to serve a variety of fresh, local, organic and organic seafood, as well as craft beer, wine and wine cocktails.
Built in the late 19th century and originally known as Gravely's Mill, it became known to its new owner Bob Meece as "Meeces Mill" after his father, the previous owner of the estate. Built in the late 1800s, the mill, originally known as Gravely's, was introduced to its new owner Bob Meech through his brother John.
Soon a collection of buildings was built, including perhaps a large wooden hotel that served as a stagecoach stop. After the demolition of the house, many residents of Old Pickens and Keowee moved to the newly created city and a new courthouse was built in Picken County. In front of him, a cluster was built in the old town of the city, and soon after, a cluster building was built, perhaps the largest of its kind in South Carolina, and the first of several large wooden hotels serving as a stopover. While homes were being dismantled and new courtrooms were being built in Pickens County, many residents in Old Picken and Keowees moved into the newly built courthouse and newly created towns.
Easley was chartered in 1873, and a lawyer who worked for the railroad company negotiated to have the tracks laid in southern Pickens County, but he died during the process. After the Charlotte-Atlanta rail line was laid, surveyors cleared the roads. Easley's station was created as a stop on the line I was involved in at some point in my career.
After the war, Union troops placed Pickens District under martial law along with the rest of the South, and South Carolina was admitted to the Union without much choice in 1868. After the Civil War, Easley became a local lawyer and persuaded the Atlanta-Charlotte Air Line Railway to raise $100,000 to invest in a railroad.
The convention also established Oconee County as part of the Fort Hill estate, which had previously belonged to John C. Calhoun and which had previously belonged to his son-in-law, John Easley, and his wife, Mary Ann. In the early 20th century, Calhoun's (now part of Clemson) was established, followed by Six Mile and Norris in the incorporated area.